Monthly Archives: December 2013

Automated Medication Preparation for Chemotherapy [PP&P December 2013]

The December 2013 issue Pharmacy Purchasing & Products features a Q&A session with Anne McDonnell, PharmD, BCOP; Caryn Belisle, RPh; and Josephine Leung, PharmD, MBA from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Department of Pharmacy I had the opportunity to visit Brigham and Women’s Hospital earlier this year while doing some research for a project I’m working […]

Saturday morning coffee [December 28 2013]: Year End Edition

“Let our New Year’s resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word.” – Goran Persson So much happens over the course of a year that it’s often hard to remember what you did, where you went, who you met and what […]

California State Board master formula and sterile compounding logs

I’ve been looking through a lot of the California State Board of Pharmacy requirements for sterile compounding logs and accompanying master formula records. The information can be found in the California Lawbook for Pharmacy 2013 [PDF], specifically California Code of Regulation (CCR), Article 4.5 Compounding.

Merry Christmas 2013

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas! And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch of their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be […]

Saturday morning coffee [December 21 2013]

“Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about wine.” - Fran Lebowitz So much happens each and every week that it’s hard to keep up sometimes. Here are some of the tabs that are open in my browser this morning along with some random thoughts….

Update on unique device identifiers (UDI) from the FDA’s Jay Crowley, a webinar

This could be worthwhile, and it’s free. Information from the email I received below. Just follow this link if interested in registering.  

Gema Kit – NFC-enabled medication compliance tracking for consumers

This is interesting, the use of NFC tags to track patient’s medication compliance. Makes sense when you consider the ubiquitous nature of NFC on mobile devices these days. MedCityNews: “[Gema Kit] features stickers embedded with sensors that link to a patient reporting website. These small circles go on pills, pill bottles or blister packs. The […]

Saturday morning coffee [December 14 2013]

“Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” – Lou Holtz So much happens each and every week that it’s hard to keep up sometimes. Here are some of the tabs that are open in my browser this morning along with some random thoughts….

Anesthesia Check – O.R. syringe labeling and medication tracking system

Got a chance to see the new Anesthesia Check system from KitCheck while at ASHP Midyear. The system is designed using RFID and bar code technologies to provide safety for syringe labeling in the operating room (OR), as well as chain of custody and waste tracking for all medications used by anesthesia during surgery.

#CareFusion jumps into the IV room with new Pyxis IV system

You can add another player to already crowded IV workflow management system space. I heard a rumor that CareFusion had some new technology in their booth at ASHP Midyear this year. Since I’m at ASHP Midyear I decided to wonder over there to take a look, and lo and behold they did indeed have some […]