TheÂ Kirby Lester KL1Plus is a piece of technology designed to count medications in a retail/outpatient pharmacy setting. The device was introduced at the recent National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) and Department of Defense Joint Forces Pharmacy Services annual conventions in San Diego, CA.
The KL1Plus is based on Kirby Lesterâ€™s KL1 tablet counter combined with new verification software. Itâ€™s small enough to fit in your hand and uses barcode technology to provide medication verification during the counting and filling process.
The is pharmacy technician scans the barcode on the patient label, then scans the corresponding stock bottle or package when counting.
What I really like about this technology is that itâ€™s simple, itâ€™s small, it fills a niche, it uses barcode scanning for verification, and uses touch screen technology. Itâ€™s a smartly designed product. I like it.
From the Kirby Lester website:
The KL1Plus is all a retail/outpatient pharmacy needs to count medications while safeguarding against errors. The KL1Plus combines the best-selling KL1 tablet counter with streamlined verification software. It’s small enough to fit into your hand, but it delivers so much value and peace of mind. The KL1Plus ensures that all pharmacy orders (tablets, capsules and unit-of-use items) are verified so the patient receives the right medication, dosage and quantity every time. The pharmacy technician simply barcode-scans the patient’s Rx label, then scans the corresponding stock bottle or package to ensure there is a match. Eliminating dispensing errors really is that simple with the KL1Plus.
- For pharmacies that want more than just a tablet counter, but less than fully loaded dispensing software or robotics.
- Bar code scanning provides verification for all dispensed medications (tablets, capsules and unit of use). The KL1Plus software alerts the technician to a potential error.
- Orders are verified and filled in less time than traditional hand-counting.
- Fits any crowded workspace â€” about the same footprint as a counting tray (just 7″ wide x 12″ deep x 13″ wide)
- Can interface with your pharmacy management system for real-time data exchange, or operate stand-alone. Both modes include easy-to-use verification software.
- Filled orders can be retrieved quickly on the touch-screen to validate dispense information.
- Can operate as a simple KL1 tablet counter if desired.
- Fast operation with no calibration or adjustments needed for different products (pour through at a rate of 15/18 tablets per second)
- World-renowned counting technology inside
- Inventory mode: keeps count when the tray is emptied; ideal for 90-day fills
- Ergonomically designed tray with left/right pouring
- Simple cleaning, with on-screen prompts and video instruction
- Unique vial size indicator displays the correct container size for every batch counted